Need to Set Aside a Default County Court Judgment?

Do you need to remove a CCJ? We’re happy to point you in the right direction.

Although we no longer offer this service ourselves, we recommend you contact CCJ Removal Services, a not-for-profit legal advice agency that specialises in CCJ Removal Advice & Support. They have a proven track record of successfully removing CCJ’s, evidenced by over 450 glowing testimonials from satisfied clients. They may not be a law firm regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, but they’re a wonderful resource for guidance and will support you every step of the way. They offer a FREE 15-minute Case Assessment to discuss your unique situation and to establish if your CCJ can be removed. If they can help, they’ll outline the process, and clearly explain their affordable fixed fees. You can contact them on 0161 711 1455.

We believe in maintaining transparency and trust with our clients and website visitors. We want you to know that we recommend CCJ Removal Services because we genuinely believe they’ll do a great job for you, but we also receive a payment for this recommendation. This payment does not influence our decision to recommend them, nor does it affect the quality or cost of the legal services they provide to you. We’re here to help you make the best choice for your needs.

We’re sorry we can’t provide direct assistance with CCJ removal at this time. We wholeheartedly wish you success in resolving this matter.

If you’ve received a County Court Judgment, you may be able to have it set aside.

Contact one of our solicitors for advice.

What is a default judgment?

When someone claims money through the court and no defence is received, the court automatically issues a default judgment.

Do you have to pay it?

A default judgment is an order pay money.

If it remains in place, you will have to pay it. If you don’t pay, the person bringing the claim against you can take enforcement action to recover the money. This could include bailiffs coming round to seize your goods.

The judgment will be registered in the Registry of County Court Judgments if it is not paid within 28 days. This could have a devastating effect on your ability to obtain credit.

Is there anything you can do about it?

The court has a discretion to set aside a default judgment if there is a good reason.

For example, the court may set the judgment aside if:

  • the claim form was sent to the wrong address and you weren’t aware that proceedings were being brought against you
  • you were not aware of the time limit for responding
  • your defence got lost in the post.
  • you made a mistake when trying to file the defence

Contact us for help in having the default judgment set aside

We will:

  • prepare the application and send it to the court;
  • prepare a supporting witness statement and any other evidence;
  • arrange for a qualified lawyer to attend a hearing on your behalf.

Don’t delay!

The court will  consider whether the application to set judgment aside has been made promptly.  Although there is no precise deadline stated in the Court Rules, we recommend that the application be made as soon as possible.